Monday 6 September 2010

Pukeko cushion cover

Two years ago, my mother asked me if I would make something with a Pukeko on it for a friend of hers.
At the time I sourced the pattern for a pukeko through the "New Zealand Quilter" magazine.  I wasn't able to buy the issue with it in as it was from several years ago but Anne Scott kindly emailed me the pattern.

I started it with great enthusiasm and decided to do needle turn appliqué.  It took me a year to complete the pukeko in needle turn appliqué and then put the project aside as I couldn't bear the thought of doing the reeds the same way.

Nearly 2 years later I decided to tackle the project and I  did the reeds using fusible web and sewed them with buttonhole stitch on my sewing machine.  I lightly coloured the bottom with a blue colouring pencil and drew in the stalks with a brown felt pen.  As Mum's friend lives in Australia, I haven't put the cushion inner in it to save on postage.  I free motioned quilted the top and again wanted to keep it for myself.

1 comment:

  1. That turned out really neat! See you Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog. I always enjoy reading your comments.